Tuesday 29 March 2011

Book Review: "An Extraordinary Year of Ordinary Days".

.
It was an absolute pleasure to read “An Extraordinary Year of Ordinary Days” by Susan Wittig Albert.

I felt like a trusted friend who had been invited to share this perceptive, beautifully expressed journal written during 2008 – the year Obama became president of the USA.

The journal is confronting due to the issues Albert is exploring, but unexpectedly it’s not depressing. She shares her growing awareness and concern about recession, climate change, environmental degradation, water misuse and energy depletion. But she also ponders her reactions to these issues, and contemplates how she will respond proactively. Albert is awesomely well read and includes her reading list at the end of each month for anyone wanting to further their own knowledge.

Included are quotes from her readings and press clippings about current political happenings, which gives a sense of immediacy of the unfolding political and environmental landscape. An added bonus is hearing about her life as an author, landowner and wife and the challenges she faces on those fronts as well.  Her writing is accessible and in no way intimidating, she comes across as a very aware woman who is sharing a challenging journey with us.

“An Extraordinary Year of Ordinary Days” is an excellent commentary on the current state of our world. I was so impressed, I’ve requested my local library to purchase a copy.


*I doubt that I've ever written a book review before, but I found this book to be outstanding, and wanted to share my enthusiasm. My book club mates know I'll be naturally attracted to books that are possibly 'meatier' than others enjoy, but having said that, if you are interested in what's happening with the environment, this is a good place to begin and/or extend your knowledge in a very accessible way.
.

4 comments:

Liza said...

I know I've heard about this before, but it hadn't made it to the reading list. Now it has. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I've enver heard of the book but I have to say the title alone has captured my interest!!! Definitely taking an interest!

I wanted to stop in to welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! It's going to be an absolute blast! I'm a co-host so if you have any questions just let me know! We'll also be having fun on twitter (I'm @jenunedited and can be found at #atozchallenge)!!!

Sue said...

Liza, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.
Jen, Thankyou for welcoming me! but Twitter! oh my goodness, I'm out of my depth there, I haven't worked out how to use it yet and I don't even remember what my @ thingo is. Off to explore...

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.